About the Electoral Commission
The Electoral Commission wants every New Zealander to trust, value and take part in parliamentary elections.
We are an independent Crown entity who works with and through communities to inform, engage and educate New Zealanders about the value of participation, make it easy for them to enrol and vote, promote understanding of New Zealand’s democratic processes, and deliver parliamentary elections and referendums.
Jobs available in the Northcote electorate for the 2018 by-election
Detailed manuals, training and ongoing support will be provided.
BEFORE ELECTION DAY (on a casual basis)
Advance Voting Staff
Staff will work in advance voting places as required during the 12 days before election day. They will issue votes under the direction of the Advance Voting Place Manager and in accordance with their manual. They are frontline staff who are responsible for providing voters with good customer service.
Advance Voting Place Managers
Staff will manage an advance voting place and staff to ensure voting services are delivered effectively, safely and in accordance with national standards. They will ensure all voters are provided with good, customer service and that any particular needs they have are recognised and appropriately met. They also make sure the advance voting place has enough supplies and they are kept secure.
Staff will work in local electorate headquarters before, on and/or after election day as required. They may be called on to do a range of tasks including:
- general office administration;
- helping organise and distribute election supplies;
- data entry;
- answering the telephones on election night;
- counting votes;
- processing election materials in the two weeks after election day
Mobile Managers will work on election day monitoring and supporting Voting Place Managers to ensure voting services are being delivered effectively and in accordance with national standards. They will replenish supplies in a voting place, ensure voters are being provided with good customer service and monitor that the voting place is operating in a safe way.
Mobile Managers will travel around the electorate on election day, going from voting place to voting place, so a current driver’s licence and own transport are required. (Mileage will be reimbursed).
Voting Place Managers
Voting Place Managers are critical to voting places running smoothly on election day. They manage a voting place including staff to ensure voting services are delivered effectively, safely and in accordance with national standards. They ensure that voters are provided with good, courteous customer service and that any particular needs they have are recognised and appropriately met. On election night Voting Place Managers also oversee the counting of votes taken at their voting place.
Enquiry Officers assist the Voting Place Manager. They help to manage the voting place, in particular helping answer voter questions and ensuring they are provided with good customer service. They will help the Voting Place Manager manage the count of votes.
Issuing Officers issue votes on election day under the direction of the Voting Place Manager and in accordance with their manual. They are frontline staff who are responsible for providing voters with good customer service. They also help on election night to count votes taken at the voting place.
Skills, experience and knowledge needed for all roles:
- Customer service
- Ability to follow detailed instructions
- Administration and analytical skills
- Good communication skills and the ability to relate to people
- Ability to work under pressure
- Awareness and sensitivity to different cultural needs
- Stamina – election day is a long day
Some roles also require:
- Good people management skills and the ability to be decisive and directive when needed (Advance Voting Place Managers, Voting Place Managers, Mobile Managers)
- Experience in operations and administration especially in a leadership capacity (Advance Voting Place Managers, Voting Place Managers, Mobile Managers)
- IT skills (Headquarters staff)
- Language skills for advance voting and election day staff that meet the needs of the communityu
NOTE: No person who is actively engaged in furthering the interests of any candidate, political party or political issue is eligible for appointment.