The Commission was required to review a number of issues but was able to consider other issues as long as they related directly to MMP.
Parliament said the Commission had to review the following issues —
- The two thresholds of the allocation of list seats
- The effects of the ratio of electorate seats to list seats on proportionality
- The effect of a party’s candidates winning more seats than the party would be entitled;
- The rules for ordering candidates on party lists
- The rules allowing candidate to contest an electorate and be on a party list
- The rules allowing list MPs to contest by-elections
Two issues were not part of the MMP review. The size of Parliament and Māori representation could not be reviewed.