What Information do I Need to Give?

When you fill in your enrolment form, you will be asked a number of questions about yourself and where you live. This is to help us make sure we can enrol you in the right electorate.

Please answer all questions on the enrolment form so we can enrol you correctly. Only your name, residential address and occupation will be printed in the electoral roll.

Your Full Name

This is needed to check that you've enrolled correctly, and to distinguish people with the same or similar names.

Date of Birth

This shows your Registrar of Electors that you are old enough to enrol and can also help us distinguish between people with the same name.

Updating your details electronically

This allows you to opt in to update your enrolment details electronically. If you wish to update your personal information online in future, please fill in a new enrolment form and tick yes in the appropriate box in section A of the enrolment form.  You will need to provide your email address in Section D on the reverse of the form. Read more about updating your details electronically.

Signature and Date

If you are a New Zealand Māori, or a descendant of a New Zealand Māori, you must sign and date in either the Māori panel or the General panel. You must not sign both. It is important you choose carefully which roll you want to be on. All other people must sign and date in the General panel. If you are physically disabled or overseas the application may be signed on your behalf.

Residential Address

This is your home address. A New Zealand Post Box or rural delivery number isn't enough to describe your address. We require your full home address so we can enrol you in the electorate in which you 'reside'. You 'reside' at the place where you choose to make your home because of family or personal relations or for other domestic or personal reasons. Just because you may be occasionally or temporarily absent from that place does not mean that you do not reside there. Being absent from your place of residence because of your employment or education (or your spouse's employment or education) does not affect it either. The most important factor in working out where you reside is where you choose to make your home.

Generally, you must have lived in an electoral district for at least one month to enrol to vote in that district.  You are still eligible to enrol if you are in temporary accommodation or do not have a fixed address – to register you need to give the address you last lived at for a period of one month or more.  If you are homeless, you can give the address where you spend a substantial part of your time as your current residential address. However, you will also need to provide a postal address where important electoral mail, such as voting papers and enrolment confirmations, can be sent.   Patients in hospital and remand prisoners should give their home address, rather than the address of the facility, on the enrolment form.  If you are living overseas and are eligible to vote you can only enrol at your last home in New Zealand, but you can register your overseas address as your postal address. 

If you have questions about where you ‘reside’, please contact your Registrar of Electors or call 0800 36 76 56.

Postal Address

This is needed if your postal address is different from your residential address. We need to write to you to confirm your enrolment.


This can also help us distinguish between people who have the same name. It can often appear on the printed roll in a shortened form.

Are you Māori?

Only New Zealand Māori, or descendants of New Zealand Māori, may answer by ticking the "YES" circle. All other people must tick the "NO" circle.

Phone Numbers

These are needed in case we have to contact you.


An email address is required if you wish to be able to update your enrolment details electronically in future. Read more about email address requirements.

Sketch Map

If you live at an un-numbered address, a sketch map showing the location of your residence is required to assist in establishing your correct electorate.

Have you changed your address recently?

If you've lived at your present residential address for less than one month, please complete these panels.

New Zealanders Overseas

You must only fill in these panels if you're overseas. Please print when you last lived in New Zealand, when you moved overseas, and the last address you lived at for at least one month before you left New Zealand.

What happens to my signed enrolment form after I've sent it back?

Your Registrar of Electors will check it is filled in correctly.  If it is, your name will go on the roll of the electorate you have last lived in for at least a month.  We will post you confirmation of your enrolment.

Who else gets copies of electoral information?

The Electoral Commission is required by law to give local councils lists of electors to compile their electoral rolls. Electoral rolls are also used to randomly select potential jurors.

Political parties, candidates and approved scientific/health researchers are also entitled to enrolment data. However, an elector's date of birth is confidential and is never released.

Last updated: 01 July 2016